ELABORATION OF COASTAL SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT PLAN FOR PARANÁ STATE (BRAZIL)
Client: World Bank – Government of Paraná State (Brazil)
Date: Ago 2017 – May 2019
This project is developed by the international business consortium composed of HIDRIA, QUANTA, MCRIT and Barcelona Brasil Group. It aims to adjust the actions carried out at Government level with the priorities and problems detected at social level, in order to promote the sustainable development of the coastal region of the State.
To achieve this goal, the general objective of the work will be to draw up guidelines and strategic actions aimed at promoting the coastline development, in a compatible way with the long-term conservation of natural and cultural values present in the region. Achieving the balance between economic development and environmental and social protection is a challenge that requires take into account the singularity of each of the municipalities, considering environmental fragility as a factor of first order to avoid use conflicts that can diminish the inhabitants quality of life, and guarantee the participation and governance of local actors in the decision-making process for the elaboration and implementation of the Coastal Sustainable Development Plan.
The specific work objectives are:
- Contextualize the region through the collection of multidisciplinary information from the coast, its analysis and preparation of an updated diagnosis of the starting point.
- Complement this contextualization with the collection of primary data and research from contributions made through fieldwork, meetings, workshops and public hearings.
- Identify, contextualize, make compatible and propose a territorial planning within the Paraná coastal region and its area of influence, including responsibilities of the organizations involved, and legal and institutional instruments that must be harmonized with the SDP.
- Elaborate future scenarios from the economic, social and environmental perspectives, as well as the needs of logistic, urban infrastructures, territorial use and occupation, based on the existing demographic and growth projections.
- Propose different occupation models for the relevant equipments and structures, mainly port, recreation and communication infrastructures, so that they are integrated into the environment, minimizing the impact on communities and areas of greater ecological sensitivity and tourist interest .
- Evaluate the synergic environmental impact of all planned actions proposing prevention, mitigation and, where appropriate, corrective measures.
- Make proposals for the adaptation of the considered structures and actions of the SDP to the expected climate change impacts.
- Integrate the existing scientific and traditional knowledge into the SDP design.
- Include a specific action plan for the implementation of strategic actions, based on the guidelines of the SDP, which allows having an estimated calendar of action in the short, medium and long term.
- Guarantee participation and institutional coordination in the design, planning and implementation of actions, , as well as the participation of civil society, University, NGOs, companies, etc.